So much has changed since my last Newsletter, so let’s hope this progress with the vaccination programme will continue across Europe and the world in general. Like most of my age group we have had our first if not our second jab and yet are still aware that the virus is causing great concern in the majority of European countries. However, these countries are now accelerating their vaccination programmes.
As noted from previous Newsletters, the Dragon Drascombe client bookings from 2020 were almost all rolled forward to this summer, either for the same dates or now new agreed dates, and all this in anticipation of a resumption of international travel restrictions being lifted. This date as we are all aware is 18 May.
Still not decided upon is the so called ‘Traffic light system’, green, amber and red, and for which countries this will apply. However, it is becoming a little more apparent that the EU block of counties which still has a high incidence of the virus and slow roll out of the vaccine, will not be in the first tranche on 18 May, but this could change on 28 June at the next-stage review.
The other major factor is the position of the Greek Government and its ability to open its borders safely to Northern European tourism. The predictions and announcements in the Greek press change from week to week and is proving difficult to follow. Word on the ground is that after their Easter at the beginning of May, they should give some form of relaxation of restrictions for mid to late June. This however is not an official announcement!
So, to be pro-active and look ahead rather than wait, I have taken the view that the 4th July is going to be the beginning of the first week of my Dragon Drascombe summer season. For this I have already moved bookings for May and June to later on in the summer or rolled forward again to 2022; some are prepared to be flexible and wait to see how the summer pans out for a late holiday. There is still good availability for dates and apartments for late August through to mid-October.
I have again been pro-active and re-booked my Ancona ferry with Paleologos, the ferry agency, for late June. This gives me time to finalise the boat preparation although Nikos and Fotis have already serviced the engines and done a lot of the cleaning. It’ll be anti-fouling and kitting out the Luggers.
In the meantime, I have started on another restoration project with Lugger Angie, a 1968-ish boat which is currently being completely rebuilt in Wales by my company Dragon Design. This poor old girl was in a state, having been standing in the previous owner’s garden on the Solent for over 10 years without moving, brambles up to gunwale height and weeds choking up the hidden trailer. Needless to say the wheels had seized, tyres rotted and wheel bearings non-existent. However, she is now in sunny Wales being given a new lease of life and will be ready for the road trip out in late June.
You can read about week 1 and follow the full restoration in this blog. I will update the website each week to show the rebuild progress of this Lugger, also bringing to your attention any new availability for Lugger and apartment packages this summer.
So for existing and new client bookings for this summer I am really looking forward to being in the sun once again and sailing Luggers.
The best to you all,